Friday, January 8, 2010

Since when do I like pecans?

Calories consumed: 1608
Calories burned: a few more days and then I'll know

Since when do I like pecans? I've hated pecans and walnuts all of my life. Then our boss at work gave everyone dry roasted pecans as a little Christmas gift. He made them himself. They were delicious! Now, I can't guarantee that this means I'm going to eat anything you serve me with pecans in it, but I'm changing my tune about eating them plain.

I bring this up because I snacked on those pecans today. However, nuts make me mad. Why do they have to be so packed with calories? One ounce of pecans is about 200 calories (I think I'm remembering that correctly). And one ounce isn't very many pecans. In all honesty, I didn't count how many I ate, and I certainly don't know what their weight was. I'm hoping it was less than an ounce, but since I didn't know for sure, I counted it as a full ounce as I counted my calories today. This was snack set number one, along with my Greek yogurt.

Have you tried Greek yogurt? It's really good. The texture is fabulous. Very smooth, thick, and creamy. I've tried both Fage and Oikos, and I like them both. Fage is a little thicker. I buy the fat free kind, and then add a pack or two of Splenda. Greek yogurt is packed with protein (about 15 to 20 grams for a 6 oz. container, versus maybe 6 grams in Yoplait), and the plain version is lower in calories. This is my new yogurt of choice. It's more expensive, but I decided that maintaining (or losing) weight was worth the price.

After lunch, I had another snack set. A few ounces (probably only two ounces) of lean deli ham, and a snack bag of low fat popcorn. I love that popcorn. It only has 130 calories in the whole bag, and has a lot of fiber. And, of course, the ham gave me the protein I needed.

So I ate more snacks today than usual. I knew that my caloric intake for the day would be higher than it's been. But, I also wasn't nearly as starving all day as I was on the days when my intake was closer to 1300.

I didn't do so well at dinner time with the nibbling or portion sizes. I was starving while I was getting dinner ready, and Jack and Lila were snacking on some organic Cheez-It like crackers, so I gave in and had a few (maybe 10). Now this is one of my weaknesses. If they didn't have these out, I wouldn't have even thought about them. But why, just because they're sitting on my table, did I have to give in? My willpower was weak.

At dinner, I'm happy to say at least the thing I chose to eat too much of was broccoli. But as a result, I probably didn't need to eat as much meatloaf, but I still did anyway. Bad Lynnette, bad.

Guess what my workout consisted of? If you live in the northeast (well, probably most anywhere in the country these days), you've been getting a lot of snow. So instead of doing aerobics in the basement, I shoveled snow for 30 minutes. Prior to that, I did get in 30 minutes of free weights as well.

My weekend isn't going to go so well. On Saturday, we're going to my mom's for dinner. I know she's making dessert. I haven't had a treat since Sunday. Will I give in and have a bite? Tune in tomorrow to find out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm intrigued - which kind of popcorn is that?
    (Jenny, who can't get the durn site to post my comments under just my name)

    ReplyDelete