Saturday, January 16, 2010

The scale is my friend again

Calories consumed: 1400
Calories burned: 2098
Calorie deficit: 698

I'm finding that, as the days go on, it's getting easier to limit my calories to somewhere between 1400 and 1500. As long as I don't eat sweets, and I don't go crazy with lots of butter or olive oil at dinner, I think this is an attainable goal. I also need to stay away from my preferred weekend morning 3-bowls-of-cereal breakfast, or even pancakes or French toast. Now, I'm not going to totally deprive myself. If I feel that I've been making good progress, I might reward myself with a breakfast like this, but I'm not there yet. I weighed myself this morning, and as I was hoping, was back down to 132. But I don't feel that this is worth celebrating yet. My weight has fluctuated between 132 and 135 for a few months now, so until I hit the 130 mark, I'm not going to believe that I'm truly making progress.

But there is a monkey wrench coming. We're leaving for DisneyWorld in a week. I'm certain I won't hit 130 pounds by then, and I'm certainly not planning on sticking to 1400 calories a day. I just hope I can restrain myself enough while we're gone that I at least maintain my weight, and not sabotage the progress I have made. Since we're staying in a condo with a kitchen, I will at least be able to eat one normal meal per day for breakfast. That's got to help, right?

So back to yesterday. It was decent. I was only hungry once during the day and that was around my afternoon snack time. But it was no different than normal. In other words, I wasn't hungry because I'm watching what I'm eating; I was hungry because it was an hour past when I normally eat my snack. So I ended up eating a few mixed nuts along with my yogurt. At least I'm making good choices. I just need to always remember to control my portions. I struggle with that, and that's why it's one of my goals of this eating plan.

I did, again, give in to my no sweets rule. What kind of rule is it if I'm giving in every day? I had a small rice krispy treat, and I made myself a cup of homemade hot cocoa. So, although I did give in, I still feel like I'm making better choices. There's not a lot of fat in a rice krispy treat and I restrained myself and only ate one small one, and I made my hot cocoa with Splenda. So although I gave in, I'm proud of myself for not throwing in the towel and eating 4 or 5, which is what I normally would have done. And when you're counting calories, it's amazing how quickly those things add up!

Because I worked out with my personal trainer on Thursday night, I didn't work out Friday morning. But I felt like I needed to do something, so when I got home from work, while Jack and Lila ate dinner, I worked out in the basement. It was an easier workout so I only burned about 225 calories, but it was probably the right workout for me that day. Heather really works us hard, and my muscles are usually pretty sore for a day or two afterward. I really wanted to do my tough 500-calorie workout (that's what it's called) to see if it really burns 500 calories, but I knew that my muscles were too tired still to handle that. But at least I did something, and doing something is better than doing nothing, no matter how small the something is.

No comments:

Post a Comment