Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Misplaced blame

Calories consumed: 2433
Calories burned: 2144
Calorie surplus: 289

Yes, you read that correctly. I had a calorie surplus yesterday. I ate more than I burned. I'm telling you, it's all because I'm stuck at home. Maybe if I were a stay-at-home mom, I would settle into a routine, and not overeat, but these strange snow days are killing me. I hope they end soon.

So I bet you're wondering how this happened? Well, I was bad. I went on a bender. A food bender, that is.

I was a good girl Tuesday morning. I worked out as soon as I woke up. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, with a combination of jogging and walking. I went about 2.2 miles in those 30 minutes. After that, I lifted weights, following one of the programs that my personal trainer made for me. In addition to that, I went out and shoveled some more snow. Jack tried to go to work yesterday morning, so when he pulled the car out of the driveway, there was a bunch of snow piled up that now needed to be moved out of the way. So I had my fair share of exercise.

But then jack came back home from work before he ever even reached the office. Traffic was horrible, and he didn't feel it was worth it. So after we both did some work from home, we decided to get out of the house and go to lunch. We hadn't been out since Friday evening, except to go grocery shopping on Sunday morning, so we were all itching to go somewhere.

Let me start at the beginning, though. I had oatmeal for breakfast (1/3 cup dry), plus a protein shake. I had an apple for a morning snack. We had lunch down at Armstrong's, an Italian restaurant close by our house. The food is good, but the portions are huge. I ordered soup and salad, but of course, the waitress brought us a basket of bread. It was sliced very thick. I had 1/2 slice, then later had the other 1/2, with butter both times. My bowl of wedding soup was huge. I'm guessing it was 2 cups worth. I also had a salad. The only bad thing in the salad was the 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella on top. I got it with a balsamic dressing, which I'm hoping wasn't too high in fat. It didn't seem like it would have been. It was quite runny. Anyway, I didn't finish my salad. I ate about 3/4 of it. But then the kicker came when we read the dessert options. I had no intention of getting dessert, but we were all enthralled by the waitress's description to another customer of the "Armstrong's Cake." So we ordered one piece, with three forks. This cake had cheesecake on the bottom (with a graham cracker crust), with a layer of chocolate ganache on top, and then chocolate cake on top of that, all frosted with a delicious chocolate frosting. The serving size was about what you'd expect, and it was fabulous.

I was so full after that lunch, I wasn't even hungry for dinner, but had some food anyway. I had a hamburger (no bun), a small portion of a pasta side dish, and some green beans. Then, in my usual stupid style, I had a slice of lemon meringue pie. It was still in the fridge from Sunday, and I hate to waste food. Normally, I would have taken it to work on Monday, but with this weather (see, there I go again, blaming the snow for all of this!), I haven't been to work, and the crust was getting soggy. It was now or never.

So that's how easily my calories added up for the day. It really is shocking, and this is why I wish I could avoid eating out. Sure, I could have cut the cake out of the meal, but even the salad and soup and bread was more than I should have eaten. But I hate to waste food, and it wasn't exactly convenient to wrap up half of my soup and salad. If I were motivated, maybe I would have found a way, but as it is, I'm blaming my lack of motivation on the snow, although I really know deep down, it's my own fault. I could make better choices. I just didn't. Why can't I control that?

Oh well, hopefully I'll do better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment