Saturday, February 13, 2010

Almost back on the wagon

Calories consumed: 1557
Calories burned: 2159
Calorie deficit: 602

It was so nice to be back at work on Friday. Sure, I got pretty darn tired mid-afternoon, but I muddled through, and to boot, I didn't eat too poorly.

Since I had a late day personal training session on Thursday, and I went to bed late Thursday night, I decided to sleep in on Friday and not work out. But by the time we were coming home from work, I was really dreading that decision, so I decided to do an evening workout after dinner. I'm glad I did, because I ended up burning at least 300 calories doing a very old Kathy Smith step aerobics tape. Yes, it was another VHS tape. I like this workout because it builds intensity as you go through three cycles of aerobics, then you do some weight training. Then you do it again. It's about a 45 to 50 minute workout. I adjusted my step to be as high as it goes, which I don't normally do. In the prime of my time doing this video, I used to use the step without any added height, and yesterday, I added two layers of height. It was hard! But I really wanted to burn some major calories. I'm glad I did it that way.

I ate pretty well for most of the day. My only splurge came at lunch time when I had two of the Valentine's Day cookies that Lila and I had made a few days earlier. I also had a small handful of nuts. Oh, and one other small splurge came in the evening when I was craving something sweet, but also wanted something good for me. I ended up having a cup of homemade hot cocoa, made with 1 cup of skim milk, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa, and a pack of Splenda. For 100 calories or so, it was pretty tasty.

So all in all, with a calorie deficit of 600 calories, I was pretty happy with the day. I was also very excited when I got home from work because my new Tanita scale had arrived. This new scales weighs in tenths of a pound (my old scale only weighs in whole numbers), and it also measures total body fat and water mass, or something like that. My water ratio is 50%. That seems to be within the normal range, but I don't really know what that means. I need to read the little book that came with it. Am I supposed to be aiming to have a higher water ratio? Or am I good just where I am?

My body fat is around 27%. That, too, is within the normal range for a 41 year old woman. I'm anxious to see if this number changes at all as I continue to attend personal training sessions, and incorporate more free weights at home. My weight is slightly different on the new scale when compared to the old scale. For instance, this morning, I was 131 on the old scale (a victory of a 1 pound loss, according to that scale), but on the new scale, I was 132.2. I know this seems like such a minor difference, and it is, but at the same time, when I am struggling to lose each and every ounce, differences like this matter a lot to me. So for the sake of my bodybugg program, I will continue to weigh in using my old scale, but I will be tracking my weight with my new scale as well.

I know, I know. I'm insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment