Thursday, April 7, 2011

I've fallen and I can't get up!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have fallen off the wagon once again. I was doing so well for so long, and now it's all gone to heck in a hay basket (is that a saying? I didn't just make that up, right?).

So let me catch you up. The last time I wrote, I was down to 127.4 on my scale at home. The following week, I was down to 126.6. That day when I weighed in at Weight Watchers, I had reached a total of 10 pounds lost from when I started back at the end of January. I was elated! But then a few days after that, my husband and I spent a long weekend in Lancaster where we stayed at a quaint bed and breakfast. It was wonderful, but we ate way too much junk.

When we arrived, they were serving warm apple pie, cheese, and crackers in the "parlor." Warm apple pie? Oh my gosh, I had died and gone to heaven. I hadn't had apple pie in months, and being an apple pie baker, I'm always very interested in trying others' versions. This one was pretty good. It was a two crust pie that was very cinnamony... oh, wait, this isn't a blog about baking. Ok, let me continue with the crap we ate. That night, we had pasta for dinner. It was a Friday during Lent, so I was limited as to what I could eat anyway. This wasn't bad, but we also splurged and got dessert (at least we split it). The next day, we had breakfast at the B&B, and had lunch at a local pub. The food was really good, and I was happy with my order. But then it went downhill from there. We drove to the local chocolate factory and bought some chocolate that we ate in the car. We also bought some peanut butter and chocolate covered mini pretzels that we bought at a local pretzel making place. Then when we got back to the B&B, there were treats in the parlor again, so we had a slice of chocolate cake. Well, we were so full of junk that at dinner time, we opted for a very small meal at a local cafe. I had a cup of chili and that was it.

On Sunday, we ate breakfast at the B&B (it was sweet French toast this time), then shopped, then had lunch at a Mexican restaurant. I ate too much. It was fabulous, but I just ate too much. And on our way home, we stopped at my in-laws where we had homemade chicken and biscuits, and ate more chocolate.

Well, that weekend totally screwed me up, and I haven't been the same since. The following Thursday, as expected, I was up 1.2 pounds. Now today, I'm back down a little bit, almost to where I was before the Lancaster trip. Although in all honesty, I'm not sure how that happened. I still have been eating stupid things more often than I should. Sure, we can all get away with eating something stupid once in a while, but I find myself everyday dealing with social events that force me to eat things that are higher in fat and calories. Or else I find myself falling so hard off the wagon that I say, "Who cares? I've already done some damage, I might as well keep going," and I end up eating the treats that appear in the kitchen at work, or something bad for me at home.

So this is the point that I'm at now. Today starts a new week in my Weight Watchers tracking, and I vow, as I do every Thursday, to make this week better. I still have about 5 more pounds I'd like to lose, and I know that if I can just stick to it, I'll be fine. But sticking to it is hard when I know that I have upcoming events that will get in the way. It's almost like I let myself be defeated even before I begin. Why do I do this to myself? It's such a rough journey, I just hope that I can come out of it with the results I want, and then find a way to stick to it. But my eating behaviors and choices over the last two weeks have me worried about my ability to maintain this in the long run. I mean, I know what I should be eating. I just find too often that, when I'm faced with food that really tempts me, I don't care about what I should be eating.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment