Thursday, March 10, 2011

How am I going to maintain this weight loss?

My biggest struggle is going to be maintaining this loss after I've reached my goal. What is my goal? When should I stop? Should I stop when it seems like the weight isn't coming off any more? Should I stop at a predetermined number? These are the questions that plague me now that I'm getting close to a comfortable weight for my body.

Today when I weighed myself, I was the same as last week. Ok, maybe I was down by 0.2 pounds, but who's going to count that as real weight loss, right? Anyway, the maintaing of my weight over the last week wasn't the easiest thing in the world. It still took effort. Is this really what maintaining your weight is about? Does it take effort every day? Does it require watching what you eat so closely every day?

I think the reason that I didn't lose any weight this week was because of what I ate over this past weekend. We went to dinner on Saturday night at Bravo. I had a salad with balsamic dressing, then I ate half of a margherita pizza (these are thin crust pizzas with not a lot of cheese on them). Oh, and I also ate one piece of the bread they put on the table. I also think that evening, I was really hungry because we ate dinner early, so I continued to splurge by eating a large bowl of Frosted Flakes. Shame on me, I know. And I didn't track any of this because I didn't have any idea how many points to count for the Bravo meal. So I gave myself the excuse that if I wasn't counting, I may as well keep eating. I'm so stupid.

Sunday wasn't much better. We ended up eating the leftover pizza for dinner that night. And at this point, I can't even remember what else crappy I ate (oh yeah, darn that Chex Mix!), but it had to have been something. Anyway, these weren't huge indiscretions, I realize, but where I'm going with it is this: I ate perfectly within my points range for every other day of the week except Saturday and Sunday. And then even on Saturday and Sunday, my indiscretions weren't anything major. But had I not been extremely careful on all of the other days of the week, I bet my weight would have gone up.

So is that really what it's all about? When they say it's ok to eat things in moderation in order to maintain a healthy weight, I'm not sure that's true. I felt like what I ate on the weekend was pretty normal for what I would eat if I weren't watching my weight, and when I eat like that, which I thought was in moderation, I gain weight. So in order to not gain weight, I have to be pretty darn careful of when I stray off course. And that's why maintaining weight is just as hard as trying to lose it.

In my head, I have to accept the fact that maintaining my weight will still require me to eat in a certain way. I guess in the past, I've stopped paying close attention to what I eat once I had lost the weight I wanted to lose. I've never been a horrible eater, but I do love me some sweets. And I know how quickly the calories and points can add up from those sweets. Breads and pastas are the same way. And of course, these are the things that everyone loves to eat, including me. I'm not sure how I'm going to maintain this weight, but I have to figure out a plan. It won't just happen on it's own. I've learned that from the past. And I really don't want to have to try to lose 10 pounds again anytime soon. While it hasn't been that hard (and I'm not there just yet), it takes a lot of time and effort, two things I will soon not have much of.

Now I'm off to buy me a new mixer for my bakery business!

No comments:

Post a Comment