Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Slow and steady wins the race

Calories burned: 2241
Calories consumed: 1523
Calorie deficit: 718

These numbers above are my averages for the past week. According to this, if you do the math, I should have lost 1.4 pounds, and guess what? When I got on the scale this morning, I was down 1.4 pounds from last week. That's good news, as it means that I've been accurately tracking my calories consumed, even in the wake of a lunch at Fat Head's, a dinner at Hofbrau Haus, and a lunch at my mother-in-laws where I had to guess at quantities and ingredients. And the good news on top of all of that is that I still got to enjoy a nice piece of homemade cheesecake on Sunday night, as well as a few Rice Krispy Treats over the weekend. It is amazing how, when you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. I didn't think I'd ever see the day when I'd be able to drop some pounds, but it's working, and I'm halfway to my goal of losing ten pounds. And it hasn't been that hard.

Now, of course, every weekend poses threats to this plan, and this upcoming long holiday weekend is no different. Friday evening, my brother and his family are coming to stay with us, and prior to arrival, they're stopping at my favorite pizza joint in Bridgeville. It will be hard to contain myself to just eating one slice, but for the sake of my diet, I need to try. I'm also going to bake them a peach custard pie, which I will have a hard time resisting a nice slice of. Sure, I'll eat a small sliver, but it will take restraint to not let that sliver turn into a big piece, which is what I'd really rather have. Then on Saturday, it's our annual day of fun in West Virginia, and for that I always make a batch of chocolate chip cookies. In addition, we're out in the middle of nowhere, with only a campfire and a cooler, so I'm very limited as to what I can actually eat, and it's hard for it all to be good for me and low in calories. Sunday and Monday are unplanned at this point, but the more days I have away from the routine of the office, the more likely I am to mess it all up.

Friday morning, I'll still be able to work out, but I suspect I might not be able to fit it in on Saturday. I'm planning to walk on Sunday morning with a friend, where I can get out early before our guests even wake up, so that I'm back in time to make everyone pancakes for breakfast. I've really been determined to make every workout burn at least 300 calories, and often that means working out for a longer period of time. But that's hard to manage when you have a house full of guests. We'll see. Hopefully I can fit it all in, because with all of the poor eating I expect to be happening this weekend, I can't afford to have poor workout habits, too. If that happens, I guarantee it ends up being a week with no weight loss, and I'm on a roll. I don't want to stifle that.

And one last note: today is treat day at the office and someone brought in donuts. Damn those donuts! I'm not giving in, I swear! But I LOVE me some donuts!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment