Sunday, May 2, 2010

I think I ate too much

I've been saying this a lot lately, and I'm getting kind of tired of it. But I honestly can't figure out why it keeps happening.

We went away this past weekend to visit my brother and his family in Michigan. We had a nice time, and although the trip wasn't focused on our meals, I still think I ate too much. On the way there, we stopped at Panera for lunch, and I had the chicken noodle soup and a half of a sandwich. I was so full, I don't think I needed to eat it all, but I did anyway. We had pancakes for breakfast on Saturday, and I ate two too many. For dinner, we went to a Japanese steakhouse, and although I tried not to overeat, I still did. It's hard not to when they serve you so many courses, one after the other. I didn't finish my meal, but I still ate more than was necessary. For breakfast on Sunday, we went to Bob Evans, and I ordered two pancakes and two slices of bacon. Sure, not a ton of food, but I didn't need to eat it all. Yet I still did. And coming home, it was another stop at Panera for a cup of soup and a half of a sandwich. On top of all of this, I snacked a bunch all weekend long, and I wasn't working out, so my calorie burn was low (for me) over the last three days.

Oh, and then to top it off, after we got home, Jack and I were both hungry so we indulged in a few bowls (yes, I said few) of Honey Bunches of Oats.

So back to my problem... why do I do these things? Before I eat a meal, I swear that I'm not going to overeat. Then I get in the middle of the meal, and I just keep eating. Whatever it is, I just keep going. There's usually something delicious in the meal that is so satisfying, I don't want to stop. Somehow my plan to not overeat doesn't even cross my mind, or if it does, I decide that I don't care. Then after the meal is over, I regret eating so much. So what is my problem, and how do I fix it? I realize, yet again, that if I can just get back to my original resolution for 2010, it would solve this problem. Remember my three rules? Smaller portions, no nibbling, and no sweets. It's the perfect plan. Why can't I stick to it?

Well, tomorrow is always Day 1. And I swear after tomorrow, I'm not going to be saying, "I think I ate too much."

No comments:

Post a Comment