Monday, June 17, 2013

Father's Day is bad for my health

Boy, did I eat like crap yesterday.

It was Father's Day, so I wanted to treat my hubby to anything he wanted. I told him I'd like to take him out to breakfast. He was thrilled. So we met up with his parents at The Beach House out in Finleyville. We love it there. They have such a variety of breakfast foods. I opted for The Sand Dollar, which was two pancakes (which are huge), home fries, and bacon. I had water to drink. I only ate one pancake, and half of my potatoes, and I didn't quite finish the bacon. But still. It was a lot of food. And none of it was good for me.

Then for lunch, we went to a graduation party where all of the food was homemade. It was all good. Since we had such a big breakfast, I wasn't starving, so I didn't overdo it. I had one stuffed cabbage roll, one small meatball, some haluski, and one peirogie (how in the world do you spell that word??). While it wasn't much, it was more of the same from breakfast. Fattening, greasy, floury food.

For dinner, I had suggested to Jack that I make magic chicken (that's his term for it; it's breaded chicken, baked in the oven, that you dip in garlic butter before dipping it in the breadcrumb mixture which has parmasean and cheddar cheese in it), and he was excited about that. Then he also asked for homemade macaroni and cheese. Plus I knew I needed to make him dessert, so I made a strawberry pie. I added some broccoli with olive oil to get something somewhat healthy in there. But the chicken—oh my! There was a whole stick of butter that coated 8 pieces of chicken. It felt so indulgent. And the macaroni and cheese! I'm not one for buying processed cheese spread, but you can't go wrong with Velveeta in your mac and cheese. It was a delicious dinner, and dessert, but again, here I was eating more fattening, greasy, floury food.

So how did I feel by the end of the day regarding what I ate? I felt crappy. The pancake was good while it was going down, but the egg frittata that my mother-in-law ordered looked equally as good, and probably would have been better for me with all the protein and vegetables in there. But I am always suckered in by the lure of a big, fluffy pancake with syrup. I'm not a crazy syruper. I like to put just enough on to wet the pancake. But these pancakes suck it up, so I end up having to use more than I like. And then while I was making dinner, and realizing how fattening the meal was ending up, I was just depressed, as there was no turning back at that point. I wanted to make Jack happy. And sure, I was happy, too, as it tasted delicious going down. But then later, when I thought about what the scale is going to say on Thursday for my weekly weigh-in, I got depressed.

Grrrrr. I hate this.

But I did go to the gym this morning. I like going to the gym. I feel good about myself. I try to work hard. I've been doing about 25 minutes of cardio, followed by 15 minutes of weight lifting. I try to do this six days a week. You would think this routine would help keep the pounds off, but alas, it doesn't. Perhaps this is "the change" starting in my body. I don't know. If it is, it stinks, and I'm mad at it. If it isn't, and it's going to get worse in 5 more years, I really better get my butt in shape so that I have room to gain a few without feeling even worse about my weight than I do now.

What do I love about my body today? Well, I guess I'm going with my haircut. At a graduation party on Saturday, I must have had 10 people comment to me about how cute of a cut it was on me. Surely all 10 weren't just saying that to be nice, right? And some comments came from people I hadn't seen in ages that didn't really owe me a compliment or anything. It was a nice surprise. That made me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment