Monday, March 8, 2010

It's nice not counting calories

Calories burned:
Wednesday 2243
Thursday 2839
Friday 1830
Saturday 2686
Sunday 2126

What a variation in calories burned for the last five days. Thursday was the highest. That's because I worked out in the morning, as well as went to a Zumba class that evening. I can see how people who have time to spend 3 hours a day at the gym can lose weight quickly and easily. It was fun burning all of those calories, but in my normal life, I typically don't have that much time to work out daily. I have much more important things to do with my time, like spend it with my daughter and husband.

Since I worked out so hard on Thursday, I decided to not work out on Friday. It's amazing how much of a difference working out makes in total calorie burn. And it's very easy to see how, if you don't exercise and don't watch what you're eating, you're likely to consume more than you burn on average, and in turn, gain weight. For me, the hard realization is that I have always been an exerciser, so during those times when I've gained weight, that meant I was consuming more than, say, 2200 calories in a day. Really? See, I find that hard to believe, but I must have been for me to have been gaining weight. I also think that now that I have the bodybugg, I tend to work out harder because I'm aware of how many calories I'm burning (or not burning).

On Sunday, I wasn't planning to work out. I plan for Sundays to be my day off, but if I can fit something in without it getting in the way of life, I try to do it. So yesterday, the sun was shining and the weather was comfortable. Around 5:00, I felt the need to get out and enjoy it. I asked Lila if she wanted to go for a walk, but she said she'd rather sit in her wagon while I pull her. So I did. That burned about 200 calories, and helped me meet my step target for the day. And boy did I need to burn some extra calories. We went to my in-law's house for lunch yesterday. Delicious pasta and grilled chicken, and the best salad ever. And then for dessert, we had the cake I made for my sister-in-law's birthday. It was awesome. But then around 9:00 pm, I had another piece. I didn't need it, and in fact, I felt yucky when I went to bed a little while later.

So this week, I'm still not counting my calories, but I am trying to be mindful of what I eat. If I lose, I lose, and if I maintain, I'll be happy with that, too. But I pray that I don't gain because that will just make me sad. So wish me luck. I'm hoping for a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment